National Night Out
National Night Out (NNO) is a community police partnership that aims to:
- Generate support and participation in local anti-crime programs,
- Heighten crime prevention awareness,
- Send a message to criminals that neighborhoods are fighting back, and
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit.
Join in the NNO Fun
National Night Out in Sanford is always held on the first Tuesday of August. Registration is now open. Our scheduled pre-cursor events are:
- Coordinators' Kickoff Meeting, June 13, 6-7p - City residents who plan to host a National Night out event will be able to ask questions, start preparing for their neighborhoods' events, and win prizes. A light dinner will be served.
- Community Play Day, July 13, 9-11a - Meet first responders and see inside the vehicles they use to save lives. The event will take place on the lawn of City Hall.
- Safety Lunch for Seniors, July 31, 11a - The Sanford Police Department and Sanford Fire Department will provide tips and strategies for staying safe this summer and throughout the year. The event is free to attend. The cost of lunch is $7.50. Anyone who would like to have lunch must register by the Friday before by calling 919-776-0501 ext. 2216.
- Cone with a Cop, August 6, 1-3p - Enjoy a vanilla cone at the Dairy Queen on Horner Blvd with members of the Sanford Police Department. Children ages 12 and younger will receive their cone for free.
- National Night Out, August 6, 5-9p - Neighborhoods across Sanford will host neighborhood gatherings to fight back against crime.
Project 365: Fire Safety & Prevention
This year’s National Night Out program will have a special focus on fire safety and prevention. The Sanford Fire Department will share fire prevention materials and raise awareness about the importance of smoke detectors in every home. Smoke detectors and installation will be offered to all participants.
26 Years of Participation
The City of Sanford has participated in National Night Out since 1993. Each year, the City has won the NNO National Award for recognition of outstanding participation in America's Night Out Against Crime.
In 2017, our program placed first in the national for our population size and first in the state across all population sizes.