A native of Sanford, NC, Chet Mann has deep personal, political, and professional roots in the city that extend generations.
Mann graduated from Lee County High School and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. in Economics. He returned to Sanford after college. With his family, Mann ran two companies, Central Welding and Industrial Supply Inc., an industrial gases and welding equipment distributor and Life & Safety, a first aid and safety dealer, which were sold to Fortune 500 companies Praxair and Cintas.
In 2009, recognizing an opportunity to re-invent himself while putting his degree to use, Mayor Mann entered into the world of mortgage lending. He is currently North Carolina Area Manager for CMG Financial Inc., a top 20 mortgage lender in the United States, where he runs his own production team and oversees Business Development for the company.
Mayor Mann is a champion of small business and has a strong commitment to public service, which follows right in his family’s footsteps. His great grandfather A.K. Miller created the first local Chamber of Commerce in the 1930s and his grandfather Tommy Mann, Sr. served as an alderman and mayor in the 1950s and 1960s.
Mann entered office in 2013 with an “Open for Business” platform. His four-prong agenda focuses on job creation, quality of place, community pride, and establishing Sanford as a destination. That agenda dovetailed with a $14.5 million bond package approved by voters the same year.
Public office wasn’t Mann’s first foray into improving life in Sanford. He has served terms on multiple boards, including the Central Carolina Community College Board of Trustees, past Chair of the Lee County Education Foundation Board of Directors, the Job Ready Partnership Board of Directors, and was former Chairman of the Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
Named the Dogwood District Boy Scouts Distinguished Citizen of the Year for 2014 and YMCA Volunteer of the year for 2005, Mayor Mann’s goal is to usher Sanford toward claiming its place as a vital and thriving city. He has dedicated his life to helping working families, Children, and improving the overall quality of life for all of Sanford's citizens.
He is married to Missi and has two sons – one who is a musician in Nashville, a recent graduate of The Black Bird Academy, and is employed with Ascend Amphitheater with Live Nation; and one who graduates this year from Lee County High School and will be attending Methodist University as a member of their baseball team.
The family stays busy with their boys’ love of sports and music, spending time in the outdoors, the mountains and the beaches of NC, and Chet’s continued love of hunting and fishing.
- University of NC Chapel Hill BA Economics
- Lee Senior High School - Class of 1984
- Mayor, City of Sanford - December 2013 - present
- Vice President - OVM Financial, Mortgage lender headquartered Chesapeake, VA
- Occoneechee Council - Boy Scouts of America Citizen of the Year 2014
Service to the Community
- 2016 Lee County NAACP Man of the Year
- Lee County Education Foundation - Current member and past Chairman
- Central Carolina Community College - Past Member Board of Trustees - Finance Chairman
- Lee County Arts and Community Center - Current Member - Past Chairman Board of Directors
- Lee County YMCA - Former Board of Advisers
- Past chairman of the area YMCA We Build People Campaign
- 2005 YMCA Volunteer of the Year
- Lee PTO Thrift Store Inc. - Past President of Board
- Job Ready Partnership - Board of Directors
- Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce - 2010 Chairman, Past Board of Directors
- Former Chairman of the local Ducks Unlimited Chapter - emphasizing wetlands conservation
- Member - First Presbyterian Church