The Planning and Community Development Department is a consolidated multi-jurisdictional and interdisciplinary agency serving the City of Sanford, Town of Broadway and Lee County. It is composed of a highly effective team of planning and technical professionals serving the current and long range needs of its communities. It is composed of the following divisions and offices:
- The Planning and Development Administration conducts long range and comprehensive planning services serving Sanford, Broadway and Lee County.
- The Zoning and Design Review Division works with citizens and development interests in areas such as zoning, development review, and subdivision design serving Sanford, Broadway and Lee County
- The Inspections Services Division providing for building code inspection services for Sanford, Broadway and Lee County.
- The Neighborhood Development Division provides a wide range of community development, neighborhood revitalization and housing programs for Sanford, Broadway and Lee County
- The Code Enforcement Division serves the minimum housing, zoning enforcement, and nuisance abatement needs of the City of Sanford.
- Strategic Services is an affiliated division of Planning and Development, and a Lee County department. Strategic Services serves a number of roles including mapping and GIS (geographical information services), demographic and data management support, and real-time planning services including graphic design.