These bonds were intended to be used to extend the Endor Iron Furnace Trail to create an urban trail within Sanford's city limits. Voters were asked to approve up to $4 million in bonds for greenway use.
What Makes Up the $4 Million of the Greenways & Trails Bonds
- Providing lighting, landscaping, signals and markers, and other necessary accompaniments;
- Surfacing and paving greenways and trails; and/or
- Acquiring land and rights-of-way to construct greenways and trails.
Potential Projects the Greenways & Trails Bonds Might Include
- Improving and expanding the existing greenway facility, located at Carbonton Road;
- Extending the greenway down Wicker Street and up Carthage Street to meet back at Central Carolina Hospital;
- Extending the greenway from Wicker and Carthage streets through Historic Downtown, past old City Hall to Little Buffalo Creek through Depot Park to the Sanford Municipal Center;
- Extending paved greenway trail from Wicker Street to Central Carolina Hospital for the “Medical Mile”; and/or
- Traffic signal replacement, pedestrian traffic signals, and landscaping.