Proposed UDO Amendments
The Sanford/Lee County Planning Department is releasing the final draft of the amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance for new residential development.
View, print, or download the Draft Documents of UDO Amendments for New Residential Development:
- Article 4 (Sec 1-8) – Zoning District Regulations
- Village Neighborhood Conditional Zoning from Article 4
- Article 6 – Subdivision Regulations
- Article 9.2 – Stormwater Management
- Accessory Dwellings from Article 10
The objectives for the project are to create regulations that:
- Create a code for development that is focused on what the community desires rather than what is not allowed.
- Focus regulations on how residential development appropriately addresses the public realm.
- Promote a spectrum of affordable housing in both existing and future neighborhoods, with an emphasis on providing missing middle-income housing.
- Identify opportunities to streamline the development review and approval process to the extent feasible.
- Create best practices for development regulations that are effective, practical, and defensible.
The New Residential Development amendments are designed to guide new residential neighborhoods within the context of the adopted “Plan SanLee” Future Land Use Plan.
Responses to Public Comment
The City of Sanford City Council and Planning Board will hold a joint public hearing on the proposed amendments to the UDO. If approved, the recommended date for the amendments to take effect would be Jan. 1, 2023.
The public hearing will be Tuesday, August 16, 2022, in Council Chambers at the Sanford Municipal Center, located at 225 E. Weatherspoon St. The meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m.