National Night Out is Underway
Every year, the City of Sanford organizes National Night Out (NNO)
for the Sanford community. Held annually on the first Tuesday of August, NNO will be August 6 this year.
National Night Out is a community-police partnership that aims to:
- Generate support and participation in local anti-crime programs,
- Heighten crime prevention awareness,
- Send a message to criminals that neighborhoods are fighting back, and
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit.
NNO provides an excellent opportunity to meet and get to know your elected and city officials, fire fighters, local police officers, and neighbors.
Coordinators from around the city attended a meeting on June 13 to prepare for this year's many summer events leading up to NNO. This year's events are:
- Community Play Day, July 13, 9-11a - Meet first responders and see inside the vehicles they use to save lives. The event will take place on the lawn of City Hall.
- Safety Lunch for Seniors, July 31, 11a - The Sanford Police Department and Sanford Fire Department will provide tips and strategies for staying safe this summer and throughout the year. The event is free to attend. The cost of lunch is $7.50. Anyone who would like to have lunch must register by the Friday before by calling 919-776-0501 ext. 2216.
- Cone with a Cop, August 6, 1-3p - Enjoy a vanilla cone at the Dairy Queen on Horner Blvd with members of the Sanford Police Department. Children ages 12 and younger will receive their cone for free.
- National Night Out, August 6, 5-9p - Neighborhoods across Sanford will host neighborhood gatherings to fight back against crime.
For more information about National Night Out, or to find out if your neighborhood is registered to participate, contact Kelly Miller at 919-777-1133 or email@example.com