REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS:
Mural for the Lee County/City of Sanford Appearance Commission/Mural Sub-Committee
Mural Art Initiative
The City of Sanford Mural Sub-Committee (appointed by the Appearance Commission of the City of Sanford) is currently accepting proposals from artists interested in creating one commissioned public art mural in Sanford on a county owned building. This project is one of several public art initiatives aimed at enriching the Downtown Sanford experience for visitors and stakeholders in Downtown.
The Mural Sub-Committee will review proposals and make a recommendation to the Appearance Commission. The Benefactors as well as the building owners will also review the proposed artwork and provide input on the chosen mural design.
- The goals of the Mural Sub-Committee are to:
- Beautify public areas in Sanford which attract heavy pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Visually promote the benefit of the arts throughout the City of Sanford and Lee County.
- Use art as a landmark to visually connect visitors to public spaces and parking areas.
- To educate visitors and citizens alike of the rich history of the City of Sanford and Lee County as a whole.
About the Project
- The project budget is $10,000.00 for one mural by an artist or team of collaborative artists.
- The project budget includes the artist(s) labor fee, surface preparation, mural protection/maintenance plan, supplies, travel-related expenses and other associated costs.
- Surface Preparation may include power washing the surface, removing chipping paint, priming the wall, etc.
- The artist will be required to apply a protective coating once the mural is completed. The medium used must be durable and able to withstand minor wear and tear and harsh outdoor elements for at least ten years.
- Theme being considered: Dr. Mary Margaret McLeod (see Attachment A for photos and information about Dr. McLeod.
- Only North Carolina artists will be considered.
- Locations for the subject mural is 503 Carthage Street (Department of Social Services.)
- 503 Carthage Street encompasses approximately 672 sq. ft. (48 feet long and 14 feet tall) of wall available the mural (see Attachment A.)
- The mural will serve as a visual landmark and should be distinctive through use of design color, etc. Only original art will be considered.
- The design will be suitable and acceptable for public viewing of all ages.
- We invite you to explore incorporating a 3-D element into the mural.
Target completion date is April 17, 2020.
The dedication of the mural is being planned for April 25, 2020 and the artist is required to be present at the dedication.
Artists interested in creating a work of public art should submit the following materials by September 6, 2019.
- A narrative of the concept for the mural, including supplemental information such as medium, and approximate dimensions of the proposed mural. The narrative should convey the artistic content, colors, style of work etc.
- 11X17 Drawing illustration of the proposed mural/Plus a to scale painting of your proposal.
- Itemized budget
Timetable (the mural is to be completed by April 17, 2020)
- Wall preparation plan
- Mural Protection/Maintenance plan
- Resume, contact information and artist statement
- Support material such as examples of other works and/or reviews of similar work. Examples should describe size, materials, cost and location of other public works.
One copy of the proposed narrative must be printed one-sided on 8 ½ x 11 paper with no sheet protectors, etc. No faxed or emailed copies will be accepted. Two colored copies of the proposed mural 3 feet long by 10.5 inches tall shall be submitted.
- The artist of the selected mural shall be required to provide a signed painting, 6 feet long, 1 foot 9 inches tall. This will be used for fundraising purposes. If your proposal is not selected you may pick up your signed painting within 30 days after notification that you were not selected, after the 30 days the painting becomes the property of the city of Sanford.
Please submit proposal by September 6, 2019 5:00 pm to:
City of Sanford
c/o Elizabeth Whitmore 115 Chatham Street
Sanford, NC 27330
If you have any questions please contact staff liaison Liz Whitmore at 919-778-4656 extension 5393 or firstname.lastname@example.org.