The Sanford/Lee County Planning Department seeks public input on the Final Draft of Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) Amendments for New Residential Development.
The objectives for the project are to create residential development regulations that:
- Create a code for development that is focused on what the community desires rather than what is not allowed.
- Focus regulations on how residential development appropriately addresses the public realm.
- Promote a spectrum of affordable housing in both existing and future neighborhoods, with an emphasis on providing missing middle-income housing.
- Identify opportunities to streamline the development review and approval process to the extent feasible.
- Create best practices for development regulations that are effective, practical, and defensible.
View and comment: Draft sections may be viewed, printed, or downloaded from the City of Sanford website here. Located on the same page is a comment form for the public to provide feedback. The form will close on July 31, 2022.
All submissions will be consolidated for staff to provide responses. Those responses will be published for public viewing.
Public meetings: Staff will hold two public drop-in sessions on the proposed residential text amendments at the Buggy Company Building, located at 115 Chatham Street in Sanford. The sessions will be 5 pm to 7 pm on Thursday, July 21 and Thursday, July 28.
The New Residential Development amendments are designed to guide new residential neighborhoods within the context of the adopted “Plan SanLee” Future Land Use Plan.
David Montgomery, AICP
Senior Planner, Long Range Planning
City of Sanford, NC
919-718-4657 ext. 5392